Seared Foie Gras with Maple Balsamic Reduction
8 ea 1.25 oz foie gras escalope
1 ea Granny smith apple
3 ea strawberries
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoons chopped shallots
4 teaspoons maple sugar
4 medium size basil leaves (fine julienne)
4 tablespoons of maple balsamic reduction
salt & pepper to taste
1. Peel, core and dice the green apple. Dice the strawberries
2. Heat the butter in a sauté pan on medium heat, sweat the shallots, and then add the
diced apple & strawberries. Add the maple sugar, cook until caramelized. Remove from
heat; add the julienne of basil and season with salt & pepper.
3. Sear the foie gras over medium heat until each side is golden brown; leave the inside
soft and pink. Remove to paper towel, blot off excess fat and season with salt & pepper.
4. Place the sautéed apple/strawberries on the plate; layer the foie gras on top. Brush
the maple balsamic reduction on the plate. Garnish with basil sprig
1 cup balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons of Clearly Maple
1. Heat the balsamic vinegar on medium heat and reduce to half.
2. Let cool and add Clearly Maple, whisk together.
Recipe by Daniel LaGarde, CEC, Executive Chef, Do More With Maple!
© 2009 Québec Delegation Chicago
source: M. Laport
Click here to download
and print a PDF version
of the recipe.